Scuba Diving, like any sport, has its risks. It is important to adopt a “Be Safe Always” attitude as a diver.It will be as safe as you want it to be, even in times of extreme weather or water conditions.
It is important to always stay alert. And just like crossing the road, if you don’t take precautions and follow the simple rules that you have learnt as a child, accidents can happen anytime anywhere!
If you are diving with a dive guide, always follow their instructions. Here are a few key tips on how to stay safe and enjoy your dives:
- Get certified by a professionally recognised centre
- Be medically certified to dive
- Be aware of the conditions and your own diving competency level
- Never dive in terrain or environments you are not certified for
- Be prepared to say “No” to a dive
- Never dive alone
- Prepare for a dive well
- Always check your dive gear before each dive (especially for rental gear!)
- Choose a buddy who dives like you
- Drink plenty of water
- Pay attention during your pre-dive briefing
- Be aware of sympthoms of hypothermia, heat exhaustion and dehydration
- Respect marine life
Follow the simple rules of scuba diving, and follow your dive guide’s instructions. Now, enjoy your dives!
More about Scuba Diving Safety at Squidoo